Katie needs attention!

KT1

Katie, Harrow Town Centre icon, could do with restoration.
The landmark bronze sculpture called Skipping Katie is modelled on and named after the daughter of creator James Butler, 80, who won a public art commission held to mark the opening of newly-pedestrianised St Ann’s Road.
The statue was ceremonially unveiled in May 1987 by the then-Mayor of Harrow, Councillor Christine Bednell, who remained a Conservative ward councillor for Stanmore Park till 2018, and Jacques Vernier, the visiting mayor of Harrow ‘s twin town of Douai in France.
While the skipping Katie was removed for several months some years back when Station Road was improved by Harrow Council, a good restoration opportunity was missed.
Harrow prides itself in its environmental heritage, but in some cases seems to neglect maintenance.KT2

Harrow council workforce missing equality balance  

Harrow council needs to redress staffing imbalances, as the council’s recent Annual Workforce Equality Report identified over and under-representation at several levels.
The majority of the workforce is aged between 35-64 (76%), under-representation of 16-24 year olds (1.6%).
The workforce has more female (60%) than men (39%) but women in senior pay bands remains low, with men making up 64% of those within pay band 6.
An under-representation of Black, Asian and Multi-ethnic staff across the council (46%), though higher than other London boroughs.
Over 55% of the male workforce is white while 50% of the female workforce are from Black, Asian and Multi-ethnic communities, mostly in the lower pay bands, with the largest proportion coming from an Asian background (35%), compared to 42% of the female workforce that is white.
Declared disability status remains low (4.3%). The majority of staff declaring a disability are women (66%) compared to men.
There are also imbalances at the recruitment stages: more 25-36 year olds applied (25%) and were successful in 2020-21 (26%), compared with 45-54 year olds who had a higher success rate from application (14%) to appointment (24%), and 12% of applicants were aged 16-24 (12%) with a success rate of just 6%.
There was a higher rate of applicants from women (60%) compared to men (40%), with more female candidates being shortlisted for roles (60%) and 39% of male candidates. 65% of female candidates were successfully appointed to roles, compared to 35% of male candidates.
Around 69% of applicants were from a BAME background, compared to 28% who were white, however the success rate for BAME applicants is lower than whites, with 22% of BAME candidates being shortlisted for roles, compared to 25% of white candidates. Of this, 28% of successful appointments were from a BAME background, compared to 40% of white candidates.
The reported workforce is made up of 2,071 full time and part-time staff, excluding school staff.

Harrow council ex chief in national headlines!

ML2Michael Lockwood, 63, director general of the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC), has stepped down with immediate effect.
In a statement posted on the IOPC website on Friday night, Mr Lockwood said: ‘It is with great sadness that I have decided to resign as director general of the IOPC for personal and domestic reasons, and this will be effective from today.’
But the Mail online reported on 3rd December that Michael Lockwood quits amid ‘criminal investigation’ into an allegation some 40 years ago.
The IOPC was set up in January 2018 following the closure of its scandal-hit predecessor, the Independent Police Complaints Commission.
Since he became the IOPC first director general, Mr Lockwood has presided over high-profile police conduct investigations, including ‘systemic racism’ within police forces, the 17 officers who handled the investigation into murders of four young men by Stephen Port, and Boris Johnson’s relationship with US businesswoman Jennifer Arcuri while he was mayor of London.
After Ms Everard’s murder last year, he said officers who fell below expected standards of behaviour were not ‘one-off events’ and couldn’t be dismissed as a ‘bad apple’, adding: ‘There must be self-awareness of the problem and firm action to tackle it by leaders.’
Mr Lockwood was the Harrow council chief executive for about 12 years till 2018 with a short break in between.
In 2014, the Labour administration decided to restore the role of chief executive and reappointed the popular council chief executive Michael Lockwood, who was forced out by the Cllr Hall (Tory) short-lived administration as they vindictively abolished the chief executive post.
Such was the nature of personalisation at the Harrow council that the members of the Tory group did not attend Mr Lockwood’s farewell event in number to demonstrate that the leaving chief executive is not popular and would not be missed.
Interestingly, Cllr Hall now chairs the London assembly’s Police and Crime Committee that examines the work of the Mayor’s Office for Policing and Crime (MOPAC), overseeing the Metropolitan Police work.

5G phone mast in Harrow Weald strongly objected, call-in the planning application

mastLocal councillors and residents have strongly objected to the planning application for the installation of a 5G mast in proximity of residents, an old people’s home and a primary school at the junction of Wynchgate &  Wilsmere Drive, Harrow Weald.
The installation of the Street Pole will also need ancillary works, including the equipment cabinet, bowler cabinet and a transmission cabinet fitted.
Dozens of local residents are worried that this development would have a much greater impact on the wellbeing and health of the residents, the aesthetics of the area as well as the value of their properties. Objections have been raised individually and collectively.
“I personally have lived at my property for over 40 years and have never before been so frightened of anything so troubling happening in my road and which will have an adverse effect on me!!” said a distressed resident.
In their collective letter of objection, local councillors have said: “the siting and appearance of this proposed mast is inappropriate for this area, and would have a detrimental impact on local character and amenity.
“At 18m high, the height of a six-storey building, the proposed mast would tower above this local residential suburban area and be an eyesore.”
Following the residents’ alert that the International Commission (ICNIRP) guidelines are due to be revised and replaced this year, the councillors urge that “the ICNIRP exposure guidelines are rigorously adhered to in the assessment of this proposal, as set out in the National Planning Policy Framework, to ensure that local residents are fully protected and are not exposed to any harmful impacts”.
Harrow council needs to be mindful of the residents’ rights of legal proceedings. For example, costs of £13k were recently awarded against Brighton and Hove City council when they failed to address the health impacts of a proposed mast.

GLA Conservative, also a Harrow councillor, attacks Prince Harry

After the announcement of Prince Harry’s memoir SPARE, likely out on 10th January next year, London Assembly member Susan Hall, also a toxic Harrow councillor, attacked Prince Harry.
The Express reports that Hall said the Duke of Sussex could damage his own family – his wife, Meghan Markle, and children – with the book, and wished he “finally grew up and realised we must not bite the hand that fed us”.
SPARE appears to be a reference to the phrase ‘heir and a spare’ – suggesting his attitude to his place in the Royal Family.
Conservative Cllr Hall, a backbencher in the ruling group on the council, is known to have a needle for someone from time to time, for example she seems to be keen for someone to challenge the leader of the Conservative group and the Harrow council Cllr Paul Osborne, a gentleman who had contested her before.
Prince Harry is hoping to support charities, including Sentebale and WellChild, with proceeds from his sales of his book sales.
The Duke of Sussex has previously said: “I’m writing this not as the prince I was born, but as the man I have become.
“I’ve worn many hats over the years, both literally and figuratively, and my hope is that in telling my story – the highs and lows, the mistakes, the lessons learned – I can help show that no matter where we come from, we have more in common than we think.
“I’m deeply grateful for the opportunity to share what I’ve learned over the course of my life so far, and excited for people to read a first-hand account of my life that’s accurate and wholly truthful.”

Ex-councillor Camila Bath honoured!

CamillaThe council in its meeting last month conferred the title of Honorary Alderman of the London Borough of Harrow Council upon Camilla Bath in recognition of the eminent and distinguished service she has rendered to the London Borough of Harrow over a continuous period of thirty-two years as a Harrow councillor.
Being Honorary Alderman brings several privileges, including: to attend as a spectator at meetings of the council and to have a seat reserved for this purpose, and to receive invitations to all civic and social events to which Members of the council are invited. The honour is held for the life of the recipient
The council has previously conferred the title of Honorary Aldermen in July 1986, on former Conservative councillors Frank Rees and Nan Rees. Both served the council for a long time and have since died.
In May 2006 the council conferred the title of Honorary Alderman on former Labour councillor Keith Toms in recognition of eminent and distinguished services rendered to the borough over a continuous period of 32 years as a councillor. Alderman Toms who also served as Deputy Mayor and Mayor of the Borough has recently died.
In June 2014 the Council conferred the title of Honorary Alderman on former Conservative councillor Richard Romain in recognition of the eminent and distinguished services rendered to the Borough over a continuous period of 32 years as a Councillor.

One hour’s free parking not helping side street shops in some areas

ParkingMany side street shops around the Harrow town centre do not enjoy the full benefits of one hour’s free on-street parking, as the parking slots are taken by those using the town centre.
“My customers often don’t find the meter parking spaces because these are taken by those who go to the town centre which is a short walk or bus ride away from here” said a leading Pinner Road shopkeeper who did not wish to be named.
Similar comments were made by some shops on the Headstone Road and Station Road in Harrow.
From 1 August, one hour’s free parking is available from Pay & Display machines in the borough to give businesses the boost they need following the pandemic.
Before the last council elections, Conservatives promised one-hour free parking, both on the street and at the council public car parks.
However, after acquiring the council administration though they kept the promise of one hour’s free parking across high streets but have deferred free parking at the car parks, subject to the outcome of a feasibility study.
When enquired about one-hour free parking at the council public car parks, leader of the Council, Cllr Paul Osborn assured it is coming by the end of this year.
“While the software change at the street parking meters is easy, technical changes at the council public car parks need more time” Cllr Osborn explained.
Hopefully the one hour’s free parking at the council public car parks, when done, would lessen the use of the side street one hour’s free parking spaces by those who park there to use the Harrow town centre rather than the local shops.

Harrow West MP named in Labour conduct investigation

While those controlling the Labour Party from outside succeeded in manipulating the British media, the bold and comprehensive Al Jazeera investigation report The Labour Files reveals how senior officials in one of the two key political parties in the UK ran a coup by stealth against the elected leader of the party.
And that the candidates for key political roles were blocked, and constituency groups suspended as the party’s central office sought to control the elected leadership.
AJ1
The investigation report also makes extended references to Harrow’s Labour in-party conflicts and oppression, naming Gareth Thomas MP and a few Harrow Labour councillors (from 29.11 to 33.47 on the video timeline).
“The files reveal the role of local Labour MP Gareth Thomas in expelling members of his own party. Thomas sent a letter to the general secretary asking for the activists in Harrow to be treated more harshly” says the investigation documentary.
A victim identified in ‘The Labour Files: The Purge I Al Jazeera Investigations’, Pamela Fitzpatrick, ex Harrow councillor and Labour parliamentary candidate, said:  “I was shown much more evidence by @AJEnglish than is revealed in the documentaries – a lot of it very disturbing – I now know the names of the 2 local people who in Summer 2021 submitted the complaints which led to my expulsion. Submitted the same day, same time, same wording and containing untruths. These complaints were acted upon almost instantly by GLU and were clearly organised. There are some truly dreadful people in the Harrow Labour Party.”
“There may be a general election very soon, and Labour indeed may win because the Tories are doing so badly. That’s precisely why it is vitally important to deal with the corruption, racism, and anti-democratic activities in the Labour Party that have been uncovered by Al Jazeera” said Ms Fitzpatrick.
Many are taken aback by the interjection of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) in its direct, uncompromising, unflinching and somewhat humiliating criticism of the government’s fiscal plan that suggests the plan was economically risky, it said it was likely to increase inequality and recommended taking an “early opportunity” for a re-evaluation of the policies in the coming weeks, on a specific date.

Harrow council has new chief executive

pat-flahertyThe newly appointed Patrick (Pat) Flaherty has started this week as the 4th substantial chief executive officer of the Harrow council in the last 18 years.
Mr Flaherty joins the council from Somerset County Council, where he has been chief executive for almost a decade and held leadership roles in areas including regeneration, transport and health.
Mr Flaherty replaces Sean Harriss who worked for three and a half years under the last Labour administration.
After his appointment to Harrow, Mr Flaherty said: “I am delighted and honoured to be invited to join the London Borough of Harrow as its chief executive officer.
“It is clearly a very exciting time to be joining, and I look forward to working with our councillors and staff, our partners and the wonderful community of Harrow to make a real difference”.
The current local authority was first elected in 1964, a year before formally coming into its powers and prior to the creation of the London Borough of Harrow on 1 April 1965. Since then, the Harrow population profile has hugely changed, for example further to census 2011, projected Indian population 29.1%, other Asians 12.1% and Pakistani 3.9%. The council members population is equally very diverse!
Councillor Paul Osborn, leader of Harrow Council, previously said: “This is the start of an exciting new chapter in Harrow’s story.
“As an administration, we are keen to begin working hard for the people of Harrow and doing so in partnership with our borough’s new chief executive”.
Given the council administration’s emphasis on ‘putting residents first’, hope Mr Flaherty would look into an apparent cultural change at the civic centre under the last administration where the residents were apparently discouraged from contacting the council officers directly (for example the contact details on the official council letters are disbanded) and the local residents struggle to get prompt, efficient or satisfactory response to their queries etc.

Well done JFS: only one from Brent & Harrow on the list of top 396 schools

The Jewish Free School in Kenton (marked being in Harrow but under the Brent local authority) is ranked 78 in the table of all 396 UK state secondary schools based on their latest average performance in public examinations (GCSEs, A-Levels, and other exams).
It is 50 in the comparison list of all 396 UK state secondary schools based on their latest A-Level results in 2022. Only Nower Hill (at 226) and Bentley Wood (at 240) from Harrow are on this list.
The JFS has made good progress from the previous Ofsted inspection grade of “Inadequate” to good in April 2022. Inadequate means the school is failing to provide an acceptable quality of education and care for children, and will need to make significant improvements immediately.
The Ofsted inspection found the school senior leaders have well-established and clear expectations for the content and delivery of the school’s curriculum. Leaders, including members of the governing body, have acted swiftly and effectively to address weaknesses identified at the time of the school’s previous inspection.
In the top ten list of the state secondary schools in England, there are only two schools from the surrounding areas, both in the Labour controlled Barnet:
The Henrietta Barnett School: dubbed as one of the “magnificent seven”, the school was founded by Dame Henrietta Barnett in 1911 to improve girls’ education. It has since been recognised year after year as one of the best schools in the country, with high acceptance rates at Oxbridge and top achievements at GCSEs and A-Levels.
Queen Elizabeth’s School, Barnet: it has been consistently ranked among the top schools in the UK. Queen Elizabeth’s School topped the A-Level league tables for five years in a row, and it is consistently ranked among the top 5 schools in the UK.
Harrow schools once in a prominent place in the comparison tables, have gradually lost their place over the years.